In the world of fitness, the word core only comes in when you need 6 pack abs. People are being misled about ‘core’ and ‘core strength’. There is more about core, than just ‘6 pack abs’.
So, what is a core?
When you talk about core, you are talking about the deepest muscles of the body. Talking in layman terms, core of a human body is just like an apple’s deepest part which runs along the axis (This is quite a lot!). Scientifically, as you can see in the image above, core muscles include the deep muscles of the spine and abdomen . Muscles of pelvic floor, diaphragm and inner muscles of ribcage which is called is inner intercostals is also included in core.
So now you know, core is not just a single word. It is a group of muscles clubbed together to form a core!
Why do you need to strengthen your core?
(You have good reasons to do so!)
- Your back needs protection, strengthening your core will certainly help!
- If you core isn’t strong, your back muscles need to work overtime. Healthy core will reduce the overloading of your back muscles.
- Once you core gets stronger, it will lengthen and will support the spinal column which will prevent the spinal compression.
- Strengthening your core will help you get rid of chronic tightness!
- As mentioned, weak core will make the back muscles overtime but that’s not all, tight hips and shoulders could also be because of a weak core.
- Our body is a wonderful machine, for working well it needs proper division of muscular labour throughout our body like some muscles are underworking and other might be overworking which will cause issues.
- Once your core gets stronger, chronic tightness will just vanish!
- If you strengthen your core, your wellbeing will improve!
- You will have visible changes in yourself once you strengthen your core.
- You will be emotionally stable once you become stronger.
- The state of core lies in physiological expression of something deep inside you!
- Work on your core, for a better life!
“You do not have to go to gym for core workouts”
Examples of core workout: – Pilates, Foam Roller, Physio ball
“Work on your basic core exercises rather than advanced workouts”- Dr.Rajani Patil ( Senior Physiotherapist)
Want to know about exercises to strengthen your core? Get in touch with our expert Dr.Rajani Patil at Aasaan Health Solutions & Orthosports!
We have some interesting exercise workshops coming up!
Dr Rajani Patil (Spine and sports physiotherapy specialist)
Doctor of physical therapy (USA)
Certified Mckenzie Practitioner (2008)
Sports Injury and Rehab (NASMI, USA)
Bachelors of physiotherapy (India, 1997)